Sunday, February 24, 2008

SA - Reflections, Topher


Topher:
Seven days in a foreign country, what is there not to say? Not only were my eyes opened wide to a new and very different culture, but along with that came many experiences and lessons that have molded me in such a short period of time. From meeting Zulu families living in settlements with no water, electricity or basic necessities, to Indian families of 10 living in a one-bedroom house, my sense of appreciation and my former indifference to what God has blessed me with was abruptly challenged. Throughout the week I was continually challenged to not take what I have for granted, and instead to cherish my blessings and utilize them to their fullest extent.
God showed me how to be a leader by serving others throughout our week, such as sweating buckets while painting at Missionary Baptist and Lambert Road Baptist. My idea of being a leader took a full 180 when God showed me that in order to be a godly leader, instead of simply telling others what to do; I must first take the initiative to do it myself, and to serve God and his children by doing so. The Bible says that Jesus came not to be served, but to serve and I thank God for opening my eyes to this command he has asked of me.

No comments: