Sunday, February 24, 2008

SA - Reflections, Melissa


Melissa:
This past week was the best of my life (all 16 years of it). It was the most fun I’ve ever had, but it has also been a week of rapid spiritual growth. I can’t say which day had the most growth, though. The very first day we were in South Africa, we were thrown into the country’s culture by having orientation with the missionary, Roger, then going to Burlington’s youth group. Right away I saw differences between this informal settlement’s youth group and my church’s because most of these youth were from 10 to 12 years old. I shared a short testimony for the first time on the trip. One of my favorite parts of the week was the time we spent with the Lambert Road youth on Friday at youth group and on Wednesday when we painted there and then went to the beach for ice cream. The most important thing that I learned this week was, “in the beginning God…” which means that if God is first in your life, He will be in everything in your life. I also learned that people sometimes perceive things differently than the way they are meant and that comforts others through the comfort He gives you. God has been teaching me to let others help me even if I don’t need help and to accept the comfort people give you and to never take anything for granted.

No comments: