Wednesday, February 20, 2008

DR-- Living Water!







It was our last day of ministry today and what an interesting one it was! We began by heading out to La Canela again to actually begin the water purification process with the small portable system, 2 250-gallon drums (tinacas), and a cup of salt. The children soon surrounded the familiar bus of gringos while we were coming but today we couldn't stop to play. They watched in amazement and confusion as Simon (the believer who is heading up the community cooperative to bring both pure and LIVING water to his neighbors) and his children were learning how the process works.
The excitement came when the local firetruck came into their narrow road to fill up the tinacas of water with our very own Robert(o) and el Pastor Ken mounted on top! While they were on their firetruck adventures, the team was able to share with Yalissa (one of the 3 teen leaders/Simon's children) some encouragement about the importance of having a daily devotional and a small group Bible study. We then shared One-Verse Evangelism visual illustration with Romans 6:23 on the sand in Simon's workshop which became an improptu yet clear presentation of the Gospel with a crowd of onlooking neighbors! Praise God for these unexpected opportunities!
We left La Canela and went to the local Monumento here in Santiago of the founding fathers of the Dominican Republic. We got to see and pray for the entire city from the top and soak up some of the beauty of the history and artwork of the country. We also had a quick opportunity to visit the local market as well.
In the evening, we returned to La Canela for the inauguration ceremony where the team shared the skit again, a few songs (which were a big hit) and the stomp. Most importantly, we were able to partner with Simon, local believers and Marsha to not only present pure water but LIVING water through Christ! It was a joyful time followed by lots of hugs, kisses (it's a Dominican thing!) and some sad goodbyes. La Canela has certainly made an impact on us and we pray that the Gospel message has made an impact on them!
Tomorrow is beach day and any last minute ministry things that need to be wrapped up before getting on that plane! You are all in our thoughts and prayers! We can't thank you all of you enough! Dios les bendiga!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kenneth M. Hall,
I hope your elderly knees are doing alright with all of the dancing & stairs to the hole...(hopefully no dance-offs but with you anything can happen!) I was thinking of you today because I was actually at church today (spent 4 hours!) planning the 30 Hour Famine (YOU HAVE TO DO IT THIS YEAR!!) But anyway, I'm rambling...I miss you! Praying for the DR & SA teams!! Oh by the way, I popped my collar this week! Learned from the best! :)

Love ya & BEN, MELISSA, ABBY, SUSIE & ROB too!! :)

Lauren

Lisa said...

Praise God for everything you all got to do this past week. I am so excited to see you all and hear face to face what happened. You sure did some amazing things. I am sure lifes have been changed. God is so good :)

I pray for your safe and hastle free travel home. See you at the BCNE on Sat.

Love Lisa
for John-Paul Love Mom :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Hope - so excited to hear what God did in you this past week. I can't believe your trip has already come to a close - wow! That seemed fast. I wish I could come on Saturday, but unfortunately I am not going to be able to work it out. (Robby is still out of commission too and he can't do the girls for the whole day :( - I pray your travel back is safe and I will look forward to seeing pictures and hearing stories! Love ya!!!

Anonymous said...

Ken, Melissa, Ben

Hey! Praying for safe travels home..Can't wait to see you guys. I miss you.....

Ken, Ben....This week I got my letter saying that I was accepted into Assabet for High school....I'm absolutely thrilled. :)

I miss you all....

Chelsea

Queen - Ababa said...

GOD IS GOOD!!! Praise God for all he has done throughout this week! I pray that he has truly moved within each of your hearts! Have a safe trip guys! I love you all! God bless!

Anonymous said...

Hope,

I can't believe your trip is coming to an end. I can't wait to hear what God has done in you while you were there. We're praying for your team's travel.

AL

Anonymous said...

good morning hope. amazing this week has passed, Savor every second of the day, isnt it wonderful to work with other Christ followers to bring God's goodness, and to recieve His Grace and blessing from those you serve. i sure wish i was there with you today, lucky duck on the beach while its 4 degrees this morning at our house. the kitty misses you, he doesnt seem to happy sharing attention with the dogs. love you, see you on saturday. i am praying for a safe trip for all, and to have fun in the sun and sea! love ya mom

Anonymous said...

Hey Hope!
I missed you last night in Breakaway but I'm sure you were having an experience of a lifetime!! I can't wait to hear all about it!! See you soon!
Love,
Christine

Anonymous said...

Hi Libby,
Sounds like ya'll had an amazing day of ministry. Hope you have a glorious day at the beach-enjoy your day and soak up some sunshine for me.We are counting down the hours until we see your sweet face.
Sarah has made a new friend and she is coming over for a sleepover tonight. She is sooooo excited !!!!I ordered your dress for the wedding today ,so you will be a beautiful bridesmaid!!! Your family loves and misses you muchly.!!!! Love you,Mom

Anonymous said...

hey natalie!
can you believe this week is almost over! It sounds like God has used all of you in many ways down there that it will probably take you a while before you can even begin to put them into words! That's okay though, when you're ready to talk, I'm ready to listen, because I can't wait to hear about what God is continually doing in the DR, and what he did in you this week! Love ya girl and can't wait to see you!

Becca

Anonymous said...

Daddy,

Mommy told me you are coming home tomorrow!! I can't wait. We can play the drums together.

Love,

Caleb