Saturday, March 3, 2012

Marilyn - South Africa

I am truly blessed to have been able to be a part of this program, to meet so many new people, and to do God’s work in another country alongside fellow Christians and new best friends. Before I joined Quest I thought it was just a mission trip to another country. But after our first time meeting all together I realized it is so much more than that.


During our time in South Africa God pushed me to do things that used to terrify me. We went to a homeless shelter one night, to pray for the people there. For the first few minutes I was too afraid to do anything, too afraid to go and pray with the man God was telling me to pray with. I asked God for courage… and seconds later I was kneeling down asking the man if there was anything specific that he needed prayer for. I prayed for him and four other people that night without fear because God gave me the courage I needed.

My biggest realization came not during the trip, but on the 15-hour flight back home. We had just had an awesome week where I saw God work in absolutely amazing ways, and it was hard to be happy knowing I was going back to “normal” life. But as soon as that thought of “normal” life popped into my head God immediately began to tell me something. We aren’t just God’s messengers while we are in other countries… we are His messengers wherever we are. No matter where we are we need to be following His plan, showing His love, and telling others about Him. And that is exactly what I have been striving to do ever since I stepped off that plane back into the US. Whatever His plans are for me I know that they are good. “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. -Jeremiah 29:11

No comments: