Monday, March 2, 2009

South Africa Team Reflections

My experience in South Africa has impacted me a lot. Knowing that some people in South Africa have nothing but God and make God the center of their lives is amazing. The first day we were in South Africa we visited an orphanage in Kwa Dobeka that consisted of children from 6 months and younger to about 6 years old. Once Q 10 SA walked in, kids ran and attacked us with hugs. After spending time with the kids and volunteers, it was sad to say we had to leave. One of the volunteers stood up and worshipped out of no where. I was shocked to see them pray and worship. You would have never seen that in America. Even though they did not get paid, they still helped out and shared Gods words the children. Even though those volunteers and those children had nothing but God, they still rejoice in his word no matter what happened. That made me think of how people in America act. We have so many materialistic people. They take things granted. It made me think of how awesome God is and without him we have nothing and with him we have everything. He is all we need. It was only the first day and it all ready made me stronger with my walk. It was amazing. -Krestina

The person that I will never forget from Durban, South Africa is a 14 year old boy who happened to look like he was eight. His name is Trevor Kabooli, he is extremely skinny and he’s Zulu. But the thing that impacted me the most about Trevor was how he played sooccer with the rest of the shirtless and shoeless South African boys. They played on a field that was really gross, but they were definitely the most passionate kids I ever met and I was honored to help them. The drive that was on Trevor’s face along with the sweat and the willingness to chase after the ball no matter what got in his way was inspiring. I want to be so much like Trevor when it comes to my walk with God. I want to run and chase after God the way he did after the soccer ball, he didn’t let anyone get in his way and h e was so willing to share at t same time. That’s how I want to be with God and with sharing my faith with others. -Amber

If I had to choose one thing that made an impact on me on this trip would have to be the fact that the same God that works in my life in the U.S. is the same God that changes lives in South Africa. A great example of this was when we went to Westville Baptist Church and after the service I had a conversation with a youth named Andre who told me his testimony and I was moved by the impact God had made on his life and he was moved by mine as well. That was the highlight of the trip for me.-Deva

My trip to South Africa was one of the best experiences of my life. Going to the orphanage in Noorsbery was an unbelievable experience! Just hanging out with the kids, playing with them, and watching them smile and enjoy our company was amazing! I enjoyed every minute of South Africa and I felt God’s presence everywhere. It was great to really see God’s presence in Durban, South Africa and I can’t wait to see what else He has in store for that country.-Joshua
On the trip to South Africa I experience so many things. One that impacted me the most was the love of God that the people have there. Our society has shunned and looked down on our faith in a King. It’s hard for people to share their faith here. In South Africa people are free to share Jesus and they can do it in public schools. Here it is so hard and I hope one day we will be able to do that in America; to share and show the love of God everywhere. -
Zach

My trip to South Africa was amazing in so many ways. First, the people there were so much more spiritual. You could feel it. I could tell of God’s presence the minute I went to the first orphanage in Kwa Debeka, a small town located in Durban. Second, the people we were working with, Deb and Barry, pastors at Westfield Baptist, and a Zulu woman named Mano. Deb and Barry were with us about everyday and were extremely generous and just all around amazing people. Mano was incredible and took us all over Durban showing us amazing things and people. She was very spiritual, always doing what she felt God was telling here to do. Over all, our trip was life changing. The times we shared together effected my life and changed my walk with God in the best way possible. -Jared

Wow! What a wonderful experience and opportunity this has been! One of many stories/experiences that pop in my head is when we visited the orphanage. The kids were so welcoming and wanted nothing more than to be held and loved. As we were leaving a young boy grabbed my arms and wrapped then around himself. He wouldn’t let go and Katelyn had to help get him off me. We finally got him off but he fell on his face and cried. After seeing that little boy and how determined he was to hold on to me I thought, “That’s how I want to be with Christ. I want to hold on to him always and never let go.” I want to hold onto Christ like that little boy held on to me. I don’t want to love Him one day and stray away from Him the next; I want His arms wrapped around me now and forever! Kate

If you didn’t think that African dancing, singing and face painting right next to the Indian Ocean was possible, think again! We went to this African Resturant that was culturally different for all of us but amazing called Moyo. We were able to listen to African music and to experience the Zulu culture. We met this woman named Mano who is one of the best Africans you will ever meet. She is so hospitable, cheerful, an amazing singer and a true follower. Nothing I’ve ever seen can compare to what she is doing. In SA, it’s unbelievable how many people you see who have so little; it makes you appreciate everything you have. But with even so little, the people are happy beyond belief because they have God in their hearts, and that’s what IS important! Mano works and travels to help widen that belief. It shows her love, care and that will forever be in my heart! I’m thankful for Mano and her work- it honestly inspired me to things she does later in my life. It was an outstanding and unforgettable trip!-Catherine

No comments: