Friday, March 6, 2009

City Team Reflections

Krissy Q10
Through doing Quest God has shown me life through the eyes of other people. Not being able to be open about my faith while being in the City made me realize that I need to take advantage of the openness I have at home. Another thing I was shown while being in the City is that I really like being with kids and helping them out. We were at a native school one day and Nic, Brittany, and I had to come up with a story to teach the kids using sock puppets and we did that and then taught them some songs with the hand movements...it turned out they new most of them. Overall God showed me two things: I really should take advantage of having the ability to be open about my faith with the people around me and that i have a lot of fun being with kids and teaching then new things...like what a moose is.


Kelsea Q10
Where do I begin! The City was an AMAZING experience, except amazing doesn’t even cut it! The people were so friendly and beautiful. The culture was astounding and really old, but I loved it that much more! Our “City” contacts welcomed us with open arms and were excited that we came to help them share Christ through our actions and attitudes in a “Christianity is restricted“ country. God taught me so many lessons that deepened my relationship with Him during the trip. Prior to the trip, I struggled with my quiet time and with life in general. I did a quiet time everyday and prayed, God knows how many times, but there was still a wall between my Creator and I. On the trip, my team was given a sheet with different Bible passages for different days and we were to read them throughout the week. This enriched my relationship with Christ. As the week went on, I developed a surpassing love and desire for my God through his word and it made me realize that back home I was treating my quiet time as a chore rather than an opportunity to spend time with my Father. If we truly love Christ and want a relationship with Him, then it shouldn’t be an inconvenience. I have come to understand how crucial and beneficial a quiet time can be. One other lesson that impacted me is that not all mission trips have to deal with poverty, open street worship and devotions. All the mission trips I’ve been on had some sort of combination between poverty and public devotions. The first few days I’d spent in the “city”, I was absolutely clueless, but now I know that you can affect non believers just by your actions and attitudes. In the Bible, its shares with us that our attitudes should be that of Jesus Christ. As our week came to a close, Allyson reminded us of one thing, the real mission trip starts when we are at home. I thank God for this opportunity of a lifetime, our contacts in the “city” for arranging the events and giving my team cultural insight, and the team leaders, Rob, Beth, and Allyson, for dealing with our teenaged ways and making sure that we are safe. Stay Strong!

No comments: