Saturday, March 21, 2009

City Reflection

This is definitely an experience that I’m going to remember for the rest of my life. This was my first mission trip, and because of it, it most definitely won’t be my last! This mission trip was a very different experience than what I had heard other people talk about when they go on mission trips. There was no canvassing, no witnessing, no street testimonies, no talking about Jesus or why we were there. While we were there, because we couldn’t openly talk about our faith to people, the whole point of the trip was to show God’s love through our actions and by making relationships. We couldn’t just speak Jesus, we had to BE Jesus to them. Everyone over there just assumes that if you are American then you are Christian and they had been given a bad impression of Christianity because of things like MTV and other American shows. We had to work hard to change that opinion and break down that stereotype to the people we were around. This applies to my life here because I have may friends that have such bad opinions of Christians because of experiences that they have had with them. It made me realize that in order to change their opinions and realize that Jesus is so much more than a bad example, I can’t just say God loves you sometimes and hope it works. I can’t just tell them my testimony or share about the Gospel with them sometimes. I need to show through my actions EVERYDAY that I am different. Then, when they wonder why, I can proudly say, “Because I love Jesus!” I definitely know that there was a reason God chose this as my first mission trip. Because it was my first, it impacted me that much more. Tessa - City Team

1 comment:

LauraMichelle Papandrea said...

i JUST came on this site and read this now Tessa. but what you said was deff something to think about,. im so glad u went, and that now you can encourage others to go :)